4 red grouse (oven ready)
3 shallots peeled and finely chopped
150g foie gras
1 bunch thyme
4 slices of bread
1 bulb of garlic
½ punnet blackberries
2 rashers of bacon
1/2 pt brown chicken stock
100g chicken livers
Ground nut oil
Pre heat the oven to 180C
1. Stuff each grouse with 2 cloves of garlic and some sprigs of thyme (reserve half the bunch for later).
2. Heat some oil in a pan and seal the birds all over until golden brown. Cover with the bacon rashers, season with pepper and roast in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
3. Bring the chicken stock up to simmer. Remove the breast and legs from the cooked grouse, place the legs and carcasses into a pan with the stock, allow to infuse over a low heat for 10 minutes.
4. Sweat the shallots garlic and remaining sprigs of thyme in some oil, leave to cool.
5. Pre heat the grill to a medium-high heat.
6. Chop the chicken livers & foie gras until smooth, then add to the cooled shallot mixture. Spread this onto the sliced bread.
7. Gently heat the butter in a pan and fry (bread-side down) until golden and crisp.
8. Place under the grill for 2-3 minutes to cook the liver.
9. Strain the stock and add the blackberries, season to taste.
10. Serve the grouse alongside the liver en croute and blackberry sauce, and some game chips (thinly sliced fried potatoes, seasoned with rosemary salt)